I’ve decided to dress up a simple baked grapefruit with some fancy toppings. Not that a simple baked grapefruit needs much besides a sprinkle of brown sugar or a drizzle of honey. But to make this breakfast classic a bit more substantial and even more beneficial, try it with quinoa flakes and flax seeds. It’s really REALLY good, I promise!
- 2 grapefruits
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 1½ tablespoon flax seeds (divided)
- Preheat over to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together honey, melted butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add quinoa flakes and 1 tablespoon of flax seeds to honey mixture and stir well to combine.
- Cut grapefruits in half. With your fingers, gently pull the skin of the fruit apart to segment it a little. Remove all visible seeds. Place grapefruit half, cut side up, on a lined baking sheet.
- Top each half with quinoa flakes mixture, dividing it equally between four halves. Using a spoon, evenly spread the mixture covering the cut side of grapefruit completely.
- Sprinkle each half with remaining 1/2 tablespoon of flax seeds, transfer into preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Serve warm.